A And Cname-record

mejaz
when i am trying to add A and CNAME record together  for the same subdomain, getting an error as below, you all kind  assistance would be highly appreciated thanks in  advance

my records are as follows in zone

auotdiscover IN A 1.1.1.1
autodiscover IN CNAME autodiscover.acig.com.sa

dns_master_load: acig.com.sa.hosts:102: autodiscover.acig.com.sa: CNAME and other data

zone acig.com.sa/IN: loading from master file acig.com.sa.hosts failed: CNAME and other data

zone acig.com.sa/IN: not loaded due to errors

VS: A And Cname-record

Jukka Pakkanen

Check at least the spelling…

Re: A And Cname-record

Warren Kumari
Yup - that’s because you cannot (legally) have a CNAME and any other RR type at the same name — see
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNAME_record for an explanation as to why...

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 5:44 PM Ejaz Ahmed <[hidden email]> wrote:
when i am trying to add A and CNAME record together  for the same subdomain, getting an error as below, you all kind  assistance would be highly appreciated thanks in  advance

my records are as follows in zone

auotdiscover IN A 1.1.1.1
autodiscover IN CNAME autodiscover.acig.com.sa

dns_master_load: acig.com.sa.hosts:102: autodiscover.acig.com.sa: CNAME and other data

zone acig.com.sa/IN: loading from master file acig.com.sa.hosts failed: CNAME and other data

zone acig.com.sa/IN: not loaded due to errors
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of pants.
   ---maf

VS: A And Cname-record

Jukka Pakkanen

Including the trailing dots…

Vastaanottaja: Ejaz Ahmed <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
Aihe: VS: A And Cname-record

Check at least the spelling…

Re: A And Cname-record

Bogdan-Stefan Rotariu

On 18 Jun 2020, at 00:44, Ejaz Ahmed <[hidden email]> wrote:

when i am trying to add A and CNAME record together  for the same subdomain, getting an error as below, you all kind  assistance would be highly appreciated thanks in  advance

my records are as follows in zone

auotdiscover IN A 1.1.1.1
autodiscover IN CNAME autodiscover.acig.com.sa

dns_master_load: acig.com.sa.hosts:102: autodiscover.acig.com.sa: CNAME and other data

zone acig.com.sa/IN: loading from master file acig.com.sa.hosts failed: CNAME and other data

zone acig.com.sa/IN: not loaded due to errors

CNAME records cannot coexist with any other records last time I’ve checked. See section 2.4 from RFC1912[1]

Bogdan-Stefan Rotariu

Re: A And Cname-record

Mark Andrews

> On 18 Jun 2020, at 07:56, Bogdan-Stefan Rotariu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 18 Jun 2020, at 00:44, Ejaz Ahmed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> when i am trying to add A and CNAME record together  for the same subdomain, getting an error as below, you all kind  assistance would be highly appreciated thanks in  advance
>>
>> my records are as follows in zone
>>
>> auotdiscover IN A 1.1.1.1
>> autodiscover IN CNAME autodiscover.acig.com.sa

>> dns_master_load: acig.com.sa.hosts:102: autodiscover.acig.com.sa: CNAME and other data
>>
>> zone acig.com.sa/IN: loading from master file acig.com.sa.hosts failed: CNAME and other data
>>
>> zone acig.com.sa/IN: not loaded due to errors
>
> CNAME records cannot coexist with any other records last time I’ve checked. See section 2.4 from RFC1912[1]
>
> [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1912

Well it actually goes back to RFC 1034.  Unfortunately it wasn’t enforced in
nameservers at the beginning and is still not enforced by some servers.

3.6.2. Aliases and canonical names

The domain system provides such a feature using the canonical name
(CNAME) RR.  A CNAME RR identifies its owner name as an alias, and
specifies the corresponding canonical name in the RDATA section of the
RR.  If a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be
present; this ensures that the data for a canonical name and its aliases
cannot be different.  This rule also insures that a cached CNAME can be
used without checking with an authoritative server for other RR types.

Mark

> —
> Bogdan-Stefan Rotariu

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: [hidden email]

VS: A And Cname-record

Jukka Pakkanen
Yes but before going to RFC details one should check the basic spelling and syntax first...

Vastaanottaja: Bogdan-Stefan Rotariu <[hidden email]>
Kopio: [hidden email]
Aihe: Re: A And Cname-record

> On 18 Jun 2020, at 07:56, Bogdan-Stefan Rotariu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 18 Jun 2020, at 00:44, Ejaz Ahmed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> when i am trying to add A and CNAME record together  for the same
>> subdomain, getting an error as below, you all kind  assistance would
>> be highly appreciated thanks in  advance
>>
>> my records are as follows in zone
>>
>> auotdiscover IN A 1.1.1.1
>> autodiscover IN CNAME autodiscover.acig.com.sa

>> dns_master_load: acig.com.sa.hosts:102: autodiscover.acig.com.sa:
>> CNAME and other data
>>
>> zone acig.com.sa/IN: loading from master file acig.com.sa.hosts
>> failed: CNAME and other data
>>
>> zone acig.com.sa/IN: not loaded due to errors
>
> CNAME records cannot coexist with any other records last time I’ve
> checked. See section 2.4 from RFC1912[1]
>
> [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1912

Well it actually goes back to RFC 1034.  Unfortunately it wasn’t enforced in nameservers at the beginning and is still not enforced by some servers.

3.6.2. Aliases and canonical names

The domain system provides such a feature using the canonical name
(CNAME) RR.  A CNAME RR identifies its owner name as an alias, and specifies the corresponding canonical name in the RDATA section of the RR.  If a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be present; this ensures that the data for a canonical name and its aliases cannot be different.  This rule also insures that a cached CNAME can be used without checking with an authoritative server for other RR types.

Mark

> —
> Bogdan-Stefan Rotariu

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: [hidden email]

Re: A And Cname-record

Mark Andrews

> On 18 Jun 2020, at 08:31, Jukka Pakkanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes but before going to RFC details one should check the basic spelling and syntax first…

I put the auotdiscover/autodiscover difference down to typo when entering the records by
hand into the email message.  Similarly absolute vs relative target name.

The fact that there was a error message that was cut-and-pasted indicates that the zone
actually does have CNAME and other data for name autodiscover.acig.com.sa and that Ejaz
said he was adding a A and CNAME at the same subdomain is enough by itself to discuss
that issue.

Mark

Re: VS: A And Cname-record

On 17.06.20 22:31, Jukka Pakkanen wrote:
>Yes but before going to RFC details one should check the basic spelling and syntax first...

if there was a spelling mistake, the error would not be "CNAME and other data"
when the error is "CNAME and other data", spelling mistakes don't matter...

>Lähettäjä: bind-users <[hidden email]> Puolesta Mark Andrews
>
>> On 18 Jun 2020, at 07:56, Bogdan-Stefan Rotariu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 18 Jun 2020, at 00:44, Ejaz Ahmed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> when i am trying to add A and CNAME record together  for the same
>>> subdomain, getting an error as below, you all kind  assistance would
>>> be highly appreciated thanks in  advance
>>>
>>> my records are as follows in zone
>>>
>>> auotdiscover IN A 1.1.1.1
>>> autodiscover IN CNAME autodiscover.acig.com.sa
>>>
>>> ======================================================
>>> dns_master_load: acig.com.sa.hosts:102: autodiscover.acig.com.sa:
>>> CNAME and other data
>>>
>>> zone acig.com.sa/IN: loading from master file acig.com.sa.hosts
>>> failed: CNAME and other data
>>>
>>> zone acig.com.sa/IN: not loaded due to errors
>>
>> CNAME records cannot coexist with any other records last time I’ve
>> checked. See section 2.4 from RFC1912[1]
>>
>> [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1912
>
>Well it actually goes back to RFC 1034.  Unfortunately it wasn’t enforced in nameservers at the beginning and is still not enforced by some servers.
>
>3.6.2. Aliases and canonical names

>The domain system provides such a feature using the canonical name
>(CNAME) RR.  A CNAME RR identifies its owner name as an alias, and specifies the corresponding canonical name in the RDATA section of the RR.  If a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be present; this ensures that the data for a canonical name and its aliases cannot be different.  This rule also insures that a cached CNAME can be used without checking with an authoritative server for other RR types.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity...

Re: A And Cname-record

Ondřej Surý
Jukka and others,

I would prefer if we didn’t scold people for typos on the mailing list. The typo
in the message had no impact on the question itself, and here, we are trying
to build community that’s welcoming to newcomers to the wonderful world
of DNS.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý
[hidden email]

> On 18 Jun 2020, at 00:31, Jukka Pakkanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes but before going to RFC details one should check the basic spelling and syntax first...

Bob McDonald
May I suggest the following?:

If you are an individual that is so pedantic that seeing a spelling error causes you to lose sleep or have other soul searing consternation, send an email (gently worded) to the poster only. Please also be encouraging to that individual pointing out that these types of errors happen and will not cause loss of their immortal soul. As Ondrej points out, we are trying to build community that's welcoming to newcomers to the wonderful world of DNS.

I remember when I first subscribed to this list being terrified of posting after reading several rather terse replies. I've since gotten a bit thicker skin. I've learned a lot from this list. However, it's not for the timid. Please be considerate in the wording of your replies.

With my lack of typing skills, my lack of spelling skills, and my lack of grammar skills, it's a small wonder that anything I post on this list is understood.

Couple that with most readers not having english as a first language and it quickly becomes a miracle!

My somewhat simpler interpretation of that error:

if during the named loading process a zone produces an error that says CNAME and other data, my experience has been that the zone being loaded contains an A record and one or more CNAME records with the same owner value (hostname). That's not allowed under the RFC documents for bind.

e.g.

remtest IN A 100.64.0.2
remtest IN CNAME temp.example.com.

-OR-

remtest IN CNAME temp.example.com.
remtest IN CNAME temp001.example.com.

Both examples are not allowed under the RFCs.

Bob

Re: A And Cname-record

Chuck Aurora
On 2020-06-18 06:41, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Jukka and others,
>
> I would prefer if we didn’t scold people for typos on the mailing list.
> The typo
> in the message had no impact on the question itself, and here, we are
> trying
> to build community that’s welcoming to newcomers to the wonderful world
> of DNS.

Is it a wonderful world? :)

Anyway, the vast majority of errors posted here DO boil down to things
like
the typos and syntax niceties (trailing dot) that Jukka pointed out.
Granted,
in this case that was obviously an email typo, not copied exactly from
the
zone file, but I'd simply suggest that pointing out a typo is not
"scolding."
It's often hard for ME to see MY typos, because I know what I meant to
type;
but for fresh eyes they are much easier to spot.

Re: A And Cname-record

Larry Stone
But if there is a possibly relevant spelling error, it would be helpful to point out exactly where the error is rather than just saying “check your spelling”. Our eyes frequently see what we expect to see and therefore don’t see the error, even when told there is an error.

--
Larry Stone
[hidden email]

> On Jun 18, 2020, at 9:29 AM, Chuck Aurora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2020-06-18 06:41, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>> Jukka and others,
>> I would prefer if we didn’t scold people for typos on the mailing list. The typo
>> in the message had no impact on the question itself, and here, we are trying
>> to build community that’s welcoming to newcomers to the wonderful world
>> of DNS.
>
> Is it a wonderful world? :)
>
> Anyway, the vast majority of errors posted here DO boil down to things like
> the typos and syntax niceties (trailing dot) that Jukka pointed out.  Granted,
> in this case that was obviously an email typo, not copied exactly from the
> zone file, but I'd simply suggest that pointing out a typo is not "scolding."
> It's often hard for ME to see MY typos, because I know what I meant to type;
> but for fresh eyes they are much easier to spot.

Re: A And Cname-record

Cathy Almond