Basic info on interfaces file

STEPHEN EYRE
For educational interest i am setting up an authoritative only DNS server at home and after a few failures i am starting at the beginning again.

I am using Bind9 with Ubuntu 14.04 server software.

Todays question revoles around the /etc/network/interfaces file.

In the line starting with 'address' i have inserted the internal IP address of the machine running the bind software. I presume that is correct?

In the line starting with 'dns-nameserver' i am unsure whether it should be the same the 'address' as above or whether it should be my static public IP address. Which should it be?

Thanks for any assistance you may wish to give

Re: Basic info on interfaces file

Chris Buxton
This is not really a BIND question; this mailing list is for BIND questions. RTM. Start with this command:

man 5 interfaces

You can use the 'q' key to exit from the manual page.

The BIND name server will not read /etc/resolv.conf (which is what that dns-nameserver line refers to), so set it to '::1'. Or whatever makes sense to you.

The 'address' line sets the local address for the interface, on the server itself.

Good luck. The following may also be of some help:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BIND9ServerHowto

Regards,
Chris

> On Mar 31, 2015, at 11:33 PM, STEPHEN EYRE <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For educational interest i am setting up an authoritative only DNS server at home and after a few failures i am starting at the beginning again.
>
> I am using Bind9 with Ubuntu 14.04 server software.
>
> Todays question revoles around the /etc/network/interfaces file.
>
> In the line starting with 'address' i have inserted the internal IP address of the machine running the bind software. I presume that is correct?
>
> In the line starting with 'dns-nameserver' i am unsure whether it should be the same the 'address' as above or whether it should be my static public IP address. Which should it be?
>
> Thanks for any assistance you may wish to give
>
> Stephen Eyre
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Re: Basic info on interfaces file

Tony Finch
Chris Buxton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The BIND name server will not read /etc/resolv.conf (which is what that
> dns-nameserver line refers to), so set it to '::1'. Or whatever makes
> sense to you.

However! Since you are configuring BIND to be an authoritative-only
server, you want the local resolver to point to some other recursive name
server, not to the name server on localhost. If your network was
previously configured with DHCP then you can probably get the correct IP
address from the nameserver line(s) in /etc/resolv.conf or
/var/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

Irish Sea: West 6 to gale 8, veering northwest 3 or 4 later. Moderate or rough
becoming slight or moderate. Rain or showers. Moderate or good.