Compile errors for Bind 9.16.1 on RHEL7.x and RHEL 6.X

Compile errors for Bind 9.16.1 on RHEL7.x and RHEL 6.X

Bind-Users forum mailing list
Hello

Trying to compile Bind 9.16.1 on RHEL 7.X and RHEL 6.X and getting compile errors hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

The download for the source code from the ISC site was done sometimes late last week.

Configuration.

RHEL 7.X  and RHEL 6.X running on HP-BLADE physical server.

RHEL 7.X Kernel

Linux  3.10.0-1062.12.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Dec 12 06:44:49 EST 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

As far as I can tell has the libuv library package….is installed on this RHEL 7.X machine.

sh-4.2# rpm -qa | grep -i libuv

libuv-1.34.0-1.el7.x86_64

This is the configure error I get….when I try to compile….on the RHEL 7.X machine.

checking for sched_setaffinity... yes

checking for pthread_setname_np... yes

checking for pthread_set_name_np... no

checking for pthread_np.h... no

checking for libuv... checking for libuv >= 1.0.0... no

configure: error: libuv not found

+ exit 0

I am getting a similar error on RHEL 6.X machine but on that machine I do not have the libuv package so that could explain that.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Sandeep

Re: Compile errors for Bind 9.16.1 on RHEL7.x and RHEL 6.X

Anand Buddhdev
On 24/03/2020 20:44, Bhangui, Sandeep - BLS CTR via bind-users wrote:

Hi Sandeep,

[snip]

> As far as I can tell has the libuv library package....is installed on this RHEL 7.X machine.
>
> sh-4.2# rpm -qa | grep -i libuv
>
> libuv-1.34.0-1.el7.x86_64

This package contains just the runtime library. However, in order to
compile code that links against libuv, you need the "libuv-devel"
package. Besides "libuv-devel", you also need some other packages to
build and run BIND properly.

However, seeing as you're stumbling on even this basic step, I'd advise
you not to compile BIND. You're better off using packages made by other
experienced people. The packages also contain additional files, such as
systemd unit files, that make it easy to run BIND. For CentOS, have a
look at:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/isc/

Regards,
Anand

RE: Compile errors for Bind 9.16.1 on RHEL7.x and RHEL 6.X

Bind-Users forum mailing list
Anand

Thanks for the update.

 I have  always compiled all versions of Bind we have used so far...we are currently running 9.14.11 so have gone through the compile process before for multiple versions of Bind.

My last successful compile was 9.14.11 and this looks like some new dependencies for 9.16.1 so will try to compile further by getting the package.

Will also look at the link you have provided but those I believe would be set packages and those configuration may not map with what we have but will take a look if need be.

Thanks
Sandeep

On 24/03/2020 20:44, Bhangui, Sandeep - BLS CTR via bind-users wrote:

Hi Sandeep,

[snip]

> As far as I can tell has the libuv library package....is installed on this RHEL 7.X machine.
>
> sh-4.2# rpm -qa | grep -i libuv
>
> libuv-1.34.0-1.el7.x86_64

This package contains just the runtime library. However, in order to compile code that links against libuv, you need the "libuv-devel"
package. Besides "libuv-devel", you also need some other packages to build and run BIND properly.

However, seeing as you're stumbling on even this basic step, I'd advise you not to compile BIND. You're better off using packages made by other experienced people. The packages also contain additional files, such as systemd unit files, that make it easy to run BIND. For CentOS, have a look at:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/isc/

Regards,
Anand

Re: Compile errors for Bind 9.16.1 on RHEL7.x and RHEL 6.X

Hi Sandeep,

I encountered this on RHEL 6 and got past it by tweaking an environment
variable:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

libuv places a meta file into that directory, and the configure script
needed a little hint to find it.

Shaun