DoH Support in bind 9.17?

Carlos Kamtha

Hello.

We are looking to add this to our fleet of bind servers based on:

However, there does not appear to be support for DoH ala bind9.17 atm. Do we have
a timeline for its implementation?

Cheers.
--
-C

This email, its contents and attachments contain information from J2 Global, Inc. and/or its affiliates which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the original message and any copies.

Re: DoH Support in bind 9.17?

Evan Hunt
On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 03:49:32PM -0500, Carlos Kamtha wrote:
> However, there does not appear to be support for DoH ala bind9.17 atm. Do
> we have a timeline for its implementation?

DoH is supported in named in 9.17.10 (server side only).  Client-side
support will be added to dig in 9.17.11.

--
Evan Hunt -- [hidden email]
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.

Re: DoH Support in bind 9.17?

Carlos Kamtha
Hello Evan

Looks like it’s ready with version 9.17.10.  I’ll give that a shot.

Thanks for the reply

-C

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 03:49:32PM -0500, Carlos Kamtha wrote:
> However, there does not appear to be support for DoH ala bind9.17 atm. Do
> we have a timeline for its implementation?

DoH is supported in named in 9.17.10 (server side only).  Client-side
support will be added to dig in 9.17.11.

--
Evan Hunt -- [hidden email]
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.

This email, its contents and attachments contain information from J2 Global, Inc. and/or its affiliates which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the original message and any copies.

Re: DoH Support in bind 9.17?

Ed Daniel
Hi Carlos,

While you are waiting for 'dig' you might like to try 'dog':
https://github.com/ogham/dog

HTH,
Ed

@lbutlr
On 23 Feb 2021, at 23:02, Evan Hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> DoH is supported in named in 9.17.10 (server side only).  Client-side
> support will be added to dig in 9.17.11.

There's 9.17.10? I have 9.16.12 and see no sign of 9.17.x in FreeBSD ports. Is it "bind9-devel"?

I seem to recall something about the odd and even versions of bind that made me thing it was preferable to wait for bind 9.18 to move from bind 9.16.

I also see this note from last year:

<https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/wikis/BIND-9.17-Plan>
"September 2020 DoH backported to Extended Support Version (9.16) of BIND 9"

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but calling it pu-pu platter? Huh, what were they

Re: DoH Support in bind 9.17?

Ondřej Surý

> On 24. 2. 2021, at 11:36, @lbutlr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I also see this note from last year:
>
> <https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/wikis/BIND-9.17-Plan>
> "September 2020 DoH backported to Extended Support Version (9.16) of BIND 9”

There’s this joke - if you want to make god(s) laugh then make plans…

This is going to happen, but the development team needs to polish it bit more before
backporting such large feature to the stable release.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý (He/Him)

Re: DoH Support in bind 9.17?

@lbutlr
On 24 Feb 2021, at 03:38, Ondřej Surý <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 24. 2. 2021, at 11:36, @lbutlr <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I also see this note from last year:
>>
>> <https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/wikis/BIND-9.17-Plan>
>> "September 2020 DoH backported to Extended Support Version (9.16) of BIND 9”

> There’s this joke - if you want to make god(s) laugh then make plans…
>
> This is going to happen, but the development team needs to polish it bit more before
> backporting such large feature to the stable release.

Ah, I read that as something that had happened.

--
I got up one morning, couldn't find my socks, so I called
        Information. She said, "Hello, Information." I said, "I can't

Re: DoH Support in bind 9.17?

Carlos Kamtha
Got it thanks.

-C

While you are waiting for 'dig' you might like to try 'dog':
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/ogham/dog&source=gmail-imap&ust=1614757547000000&usg=AOvVaw2_5rtT0Bts7hpyhiAFxpgl