Get Trace of Server Recursive Queries

Bahram Bahrambeigy
Dear Bind Users,
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to get the full log of individual recursive queries that Bind server makes.
For example step by step from root servers to the final name server.
I am aware of "dig +trace" command but it is from users perspective, not servers.
We may have some specific policies for some domains that users might not be aware of, but we want to make sure that everything works as it is supposed to, in the server.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Get Trace of Server Recursive Queries

Tony Finch
Bahram Bahrambeigy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was wondering if it is possible to get the full log of individual
> recursive queries that Bind server makes.
> For example step by step from root servers to the final name server.
> I am aware of "dig +trace" command but it is from users perspective, not
> servers.

If this is for debugging, try `rndc trace 11`

Otherwise, have a look at dnstap, or use tcpdump.

Viking, North Utsire, South Utsire, Forties: Southerly becoming cyclonic 5 to
7, occasionally gale 8. Rough or very rough. Rain. Moderate or poor.