How to define a name with an empty RRset?

How to define a name with an empty RRset?

Alessandro Vesely
Hi all,

the doc says each node has a set of resource information, which may be empty.
But how do I create such a node?  If I just write, say:

    an-emty-name.example.com.

named-checkzone complains about unexpected end of input.

NULL is not usable in master files.  For the time being, I try:

    an-emty-name.example.com. IN RP . .

However, querying ANY reveals that the name is not actually empty.

Is there a specific syntax to create an empty name?

Best
Ale

Re: How to define a name with an empty RRset?

Ondřej Surý
Hi,

to create a empty non-terminal (ENT) you should do:

non-empty.an-empty-name.example.com. IN TXT <data>

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý
[hidden email]

> On 29 Apr 2020, at 12:22, Alessandro Vesely <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> the doc says each node has a set of resource information, which may be empty.
> But how do I create such a node?  If I just write, say:
>
>    an-emty-name.example.com.
>
> named-checkzone complains about unexpected end of input.
>
> NULL is not usable in master files.  For the time being, I try:
>
>    an-emty-name.example.com. IN RP . .
>
> However, querying ANY reveals that the name is not actually empty.
>
> Is there a specific syntax to create an empty name?
>

> Best
> Ale

Re: How to define a name with an empty RRset?

Alessandro Vesely
Great!

Thank you Ondrej

Ale

On 29/04/2020 12:26, Ondřej Surý wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to create a empty non-terminal (ENT) you should do:
>
> non-empty.an-empty-name.example.com. IN TXT <data>
>
> Ondrej
> --
> Ondřej Surý
> [hidden email]
>
>> On 29 Apr 2020, at 12:22, Alessandro Vesely <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the doc says each node has a set of resource information, which may be empty.
>> But how do I create such a node?  If I just write, say:
>>
>>    an-emty-name.example.com.
>>
>> named-checkzone complains about unexpected end of input.
>>
>> NULL is not usable in master files.  For the time being, I try:
>>
>>    an-emty-name.example.com. IN RP . .
>>
>> However, querying ANY reveals that the name is not actually empty.
>>
>> Is there a specific syntax to create an empty name?
>>

>> Best
>> Ale

Re: How to define a name with an empty RRset?

Scott Morizot
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 5:23 AM Alessandro Vesely <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

the doc says each node has a set of resource information, which may be empty.
But how do I create such a node?  If I just write, say:

    an-emty-name.example.com.

I believe that's a reference to empty non-terminals. If you created, for instance, an AAAA record for

in the example.com zone and there were no entries specifically for an-empty-name.example.com, the node an-empty-name.example.com would exist in DNS, because it's part of the AAAA resource record, new-server.an-empty-name.example.com, but would have no resource records associated with it. So a query for any resource record type for the name an-empty-name.example.com would return a NOERROR response with 0 answers.

HTH,

Scott