Modification in dhcpd.conf does not update ddns

Modification in dhcpd.conf does not update ddns

Bernard Fay
Hi,

I have DDNS and DHCPD setup and it works ok so far.

But, while testing the integration of dhcpd and dns, I found that if I change the IP address in dhcpd.conf for a previously configured client the change is not reflected in DNS once the client receive the new IP.

For example, host A is initially configured to use 192.168.1.100. Host A is booted and receive IP 192.168.1.100 as expected.  If host A does a nslookup on A, it received 192.168.1.100. Everything is ok so far.

Something happen, whatever it is, and the IP address of host A is changed to 192.168.1.222.  Host A is rebooted and received its new IP address.  ifconfig eth0 shows 192.168.1.222.  So far so good. Now host A does a nslookup on A. nslookup shows up 192.168.1.100. Ooops!!! Wrong address!

Did I made something wrong in the configuration or a specific action, say a command, should be made to update the DNS files?

I hope I was clear enough.

Re: Modification in dhcpd.conf does not update ddns

Doug Barton
On 01/28/2016 10:23 AM, Bernard Fay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have DDNS and DHCPD setup and it works ok so far.
>
> But, while testing the integration of dhcpd and dns, I found that if I
> change the IP address in dhcpd.conf for a previously configured client
> the change is not reflected in DNS once the client receive the new IP.

When you say "configured client" are you referring to a DHCP
reservation? If so, do you have update-static-leases enabled in your
dhcpd.conf?

Doug