Question about Delegation/forwarder

Gawan Re
Hello,

I have a bind server with recursion disabled.
One of the subzone is delegated to external name servers for which we are not authoritative. The records inside this subzone would not resolve as the subzone is delegated to external name servers and I have recursion disabled.

My question is, While I have the delegation is in place (even though it is useless), is there a way to override Delegation (and possibly replace with forwarders) ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Question about Delegation/forwarder

Bind-Users forum mailing list
On 4/26/19 1:14 PM, Gawan Re wrote:
> Any help will be appreciated.

It's my understanding that recursion is required to answer any queries
not contained within local authoritative data.

Can you slave the delegated zone off of the server it's delegated to?
That would make your server have an authoritative copy.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Question about Delegation/forwarder

Barry Margolin
In article <[hidden email]>,
 Gawan Re <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a bind server with recursion disabled.

So this should be an authoritative-only nameserver, not a resolving
nameserver.

> One of the subzone is delegated to external name servers for which we are
> not authoritative. The records inside this subzone would not resolve as the
> subzone is delegated to external name servers and I have recursion
> disabled.

Why is this a problem? The client nameserver should follow the
delegation.

Stub resolvers should not point to a server that has recursion disabled.

> My question is, While I have the delegation is in place (even though it is
> useless), is there a way to override Delegation (and possibly replace with
> forwarders) ?

Forwarders are only used when recursing. If recursion is disabled,
forwarders are useless.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA