Re: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

Re: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

Andreas Hasenack
Hello,

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 8:25 PM Michael McNally <[hidden email]> wrote:

> New releases of BIND are available which contain bug fixes and feature improvements.
> You can download them from the ISC website:
>
>    https://www.isc.org/downloads
>
> Release notes can be found via these links:
>
> Stable release branches:
>   9.11.17:  https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.11.17/RELEASE-NOTES-bind-9.11.17.html
>   9.16.1:   https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.16.1/RELEASE-NOTES-bind-9.16.1.html

I'm about to update ubuntu's bind9 9.16.0 to 9.16.1, and wanted to ask
about the pros and cons of this feature change:
"""
The system-provided POSIX Threads read-write lock implementation is
now used by default instead of the native BIND 9 implementation.
"""
Ubuntu was highlighted in that change due to a bug in bionic[1], for
which I have an SRU prepared and am just waiting on a review from my
colleagues. There are ppa packages for testing, if someone wants to
verify it. glibc is not a package I maintain, but I have an interest
in bind9 working well, so I jumped in.

But my question is about the upcoming ubuntu focal 20.04, which has an
unaffected glibc. Since this is a feature change, and we are in
Feature Freeze, I'll have to justify it to the archive admins, and
wanted to get some input on what this change makes better. I
understand it's your recommendation to use it, since it's the new
upstream default, but do you have some more details?

Thanks!

1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+bug/1864864

Re: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

FUSTE Emmanuel
Le 20/03/2020 à 15:05, Andreas Hasenack a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 8:25 PM Michael McNally <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> New releases of BIND are available which contain bug fixes and feature improvements.
>> You can download them from the ISC website:
>>
>>     https://www.isc.org/downloads
>>
>> Release notes can be found via these links:
>>
>> Stable release branches:
>>    9.11.17:  https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.11.17/RELEASE-NOTES-bind-9.11.17.html
>>    9.16.1:   https://downloads.isc.org/isc/bind9/9.16.1/RELEASE-NOTES-bind-9.16.1.html
> I'm about to update ubuntu's bind9 9.16.0 to 9.16.1, and wanted to ask
> about the pros and cons of this feature change:
> """
> The system-provided POSIX Threads read-write lock implementation is
> now used by default instead of the native BIND 9 implementation.
> """
> Ubuntu was highlighted in that change due to a bug in bionic[1], for
> which I have an SRU prepared and am just waiting on a review from my
> colleagues. There are ppa packages for testing, if someone wants to
> verify it. glibc is not a package I maintain, but I have an interest
> in bind9 working well, so I jumped in.
>
> But my question is about the upcoming ubuntu focal 20.04, which has an
> unaffected glibc. Since this is a feature change, and we are in
> Feature Freeze, I'll have to justify it to the archive admins, and
> wanted to get some input on what this change makes better. I
> understand it's your recommendation to use it, since it's the new
> upstream default, but do you have some more details?
>
> Thanks!
>

> 1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+bug/1864864

Hello,

9.16.1 had been pushed into ISC stable PPA for Bionic, but without the
native Bind read-write lock compilation option.
As expected, my resolvers locked a few minute later.
Thank you for your fixed packages in your PPA.
I hope that the native glibc distribution package update will be
expedited faster.

Emmanuel.

Re: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

Ondřej Surý
Oh, right. I was hoping Bionic would have a fix by the time we release new BIND 9.

The fixed package should be building right now.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý
[hidden email]

> On 23 Mar 2020, at 11:47, FUSTE Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> 9.16.1 had been pushed into ISC stable PPA for Bionic, but without the
> native Bind read-write lock compilation option.
> As expected, my resolvers locked a few minute later.
> Thank you for your fixed packages in your PPA.
> I hope that the native glibc distribution package update will be
> expedited faster.
>

> Emmanuel.

Re: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

FUSTE Emmanuel
Hi,

Even with the glibc package from Andrea I experienced locks within minutes.
And with bind9 (1:9.16.1-2+ubuntu18.04.1+isc+2) too.
It seems that there is some other problems.

I'm back to 9.14.11 for now.
I'll waiting the official fixed glibc package and will do  9.16
experiments under control.

Emmanuel.

Le 23/03/2020 à 11:54, Ondřej Surý a écrit :

> Oh, right. I was hoping Bionic would have a fix by the time we release new BIND 9.
>
> The fixed package should be building right now.
>
> Ondrej
> --
> Ondřej Surý
> [hidden email]
>
>> On 23 Mar 2020, at 11:47, FUSTE Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> 9.16.1 had been pushed into ISC stable PPA for Bionic, but without the
>> native Bind read-write lock compilation option.
>> As expected, my resolvers locked a few minute later.
>> Thank you for your fixed packages in your PPA.
>> I hope that the native glibc distribution package update will be
>> expedited faster.
>>

>> Emmanuel.

Re: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

Ondřej Surý
Hi Emmanuel,

I made a mistake in the package, so bind9 (1:9.16.1-2+ubuntu18.04.1+isc+3)
would be the correct version to use on Ubuntu bionic.

If you experience any reproducible locks and crashes, we would be interested
in having tcpdump that causes the lockup.

Thanks,
Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý
[hidden email]

> On 23 Mar 2020, at 13:26, FUSTE Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Even with the glibc package from Andrea I experienced locks within minutes.
> And with bind9 (1:9.16.1-2+ubuntu18.04.1+isc+2) too.
> It seems that there is some other problems.
>
> I'm back to 9.14.11 for now.
> I'll waiting the official fixed glibc package and will do  9.16
> experiments under control.
>
> Emmanuel.
>
> Le 23/03/2020 à 11:54, Ondřej Surý a écrit :
>> Oh, right. I was hoping Bionic would have a fix by the time we release new BIND 9.
>>
>> The fixed package should be building right now.
>>
>> Ondrej
>> --
>> Ondřej Surý
>> [hidden email]
>>
>>> On 23 Mar 2020, at 11:47, FUSTE Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> 9.16.1 had been pushed into ISC stable PPA for Bionic, but without the
>>> native Bind read-write lock compilation option.
>>> As expected, my resolvers locked a few minute later.
>>> Thank you for your fixed packages in your PPA.
>>> I hope that the native glibc distribution package update will be
>>> expedited faster.
>>>

>>> Emmanuel.

Re: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

FUSTE Emmanuel
Ok, will wait the publication of isc+3 version and will do some tests.

Emmanuel.

Le 23/03/2020 à 13:33, Ondřej Surý a écrit :

> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> I made a mistake in the package, so bind9 (1:9.16.1-2+ubuntu18.04.1+isc+3)
> would be the correct version to use on Ubuntu bionic.
>
> If you experience any reproducible locks and crashes, we would be interested
> in having tcpdump that causes the lockup.
>
> Thanks,
> Ondrej
> --
> Ondřej Surý
> [hidden email]
>
>> On 23 Mar 2020, at 13:26, FUSTE Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Even with the glibc package from Andrea I experienced locks within minutes.
>> And with bind9 (1:9.16.1-2+ubuntu18.04.1+isc+2) too.
>> It seems that there is some other problems.
>>
>> I'm back to 9.14.11 for now.
>> I'll waiting the official fixed glibc package and will do  9.16
>> experiments under control.
>>
>> Emmanuel.
>>
>> Le 23/03/2020 à 11:54, Ondřej Surý a écrit :
>>> Oh, right. I was hoping Bionic would have a fix by the time we release new BIND 9.
>>>
>>> The fixed package should be building right now.
>>>
>>> Ondrej
>>> --
>>> Ondřej Surý
>>> [hidden email]

Re: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

FUSTE Emmanuel
The Andrea's packages where not properly/fully installed, my bad.
So now one of my resolver is under stress with properly installed
Andrea's packages and isc+2

We will see.

Emmanuel.

Le 23/03/2020 à 13:40, FUSTE Emmanuel a écrit :

> Ok, will wait the publication of isc+3 version and will do some tests.
>
> Emmanuel.
>
> Le 23/03/2020 à 13:33, Ondřej Surý a écrit :
>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>
>> I made a mistake in the package, so bind9 (1:9.16.1-2+ubuntu18.04.1+isc+3)
>> would be the correct version to use on Ubuntu bionic.
>>
>> If you experience any reproducible locks and crashes, we would be interested
>> in having tcpdump that causes the lockup.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ondrej
>> --
>> Ondřej Surý
>> [hidden email]
>>
>>> On 23 Mar 2020, at 13:26, FUSTE Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Even with the glibc package from Andrea I experienced locks within minutes.
>>> And with bind9 (1:9.16.1-2+ubuntu18.04.1+isc+2) too.
>>> It seems that there is some other problems.
>>>
>>> I'm back to 9.14.11 for now.
>>> I'll waiting the official fixed glibc package and will do  9.16
>>> experiments under control.

Re: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

FUSTE Emmanuel
No lock. Still under close monitoring for the rest of the day. (isc+2:
glibc read-write lock / Andrea Glibc packages)
A second one get isc+3.1 (--disable-pthread-rwlock) is under test/stress
too.

Will report any problem if some arise.

Emmanuel.

Le 23/03/2020 à 14:21, FUSTE Emmanuel a écrit :

> The Andrea's packages where not properly/fully installed, my bad.
> So now one of my resolver is under stress with properly installed
> Andrea's packages and isc+2
>
> We will see.
>
> Emmanuel.
>
> Le 23/03/2020 à 13:40, FUSTE Emmanuel a écrit :
>> Ok, will wait the publication of isc+3 version and will do some tests.
>>
>> Emmanuel.
>>
>> Le 23/03/2020 à 13:33, Ondřej Surý a écrit :
>>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>>
>>> I made a mistake in the package, so bind9 (1:9.16.1-2+ubuntu18.04.1+isc+3)
>>> would be the correct version to use on Ubuntu bionic.
>>>
>>> If you experience any reproducible locks and crashes, we would be interested
>>> in having tcpdump that causes the lockup.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ondrej
>>> --
>>> Ondřej Surý
>>> [hidden email]

Re: New releases of BIND are available: 9.11.17, 9.16.1, and 9.17.0

FUSTE Emmanuel
Hello again,

The two setups are stable.

Thank you.