Re: bind 9.16.7 Odd query error (Borja Marcos)

Re: bind 9.16.7 Odd query error (Borja Marcos)

Bob McDonald
Same thing here. Here's what I found.

1) there's and old version of the root hints file. Nov 2017. Current is sept 2020. New one didn't change things. I'll look at my other setup which slaves the root.
    Caveat: I'm running FreeBSD 12.1
2) Upon executing the dig a second time, it resolves.

Almost looks like some sort of priming issue.

YMMV,

Bob

Re: bind 9.16.7 Odd query error (Borja Marcos)

Borja Marcos

> On 30 Sep 2020, at 15:29, Bob McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Same thing here. Here's what I found.
>
> 1) there's and old version of the root hints file. Nov 2017. Current is sept 2020. New one didn't change things. I'll look at my other setup which slaves the root.
>    Caveat: I'm running FreeBSD 12.1
> 2) Upon executing the dig a second time, it resolves.
>
> Almost looks like some sort of priming issue.

Phew, not alone. I thought something similar, I see the same problem either “secondarying" the root zone
or using a root.hints file.

Curiously it works perfectly when I disable IPv6. I can get a packet trace but with all the DNSSEC stuff it
gets crazy to check.

I was wondering, what kind of errors can fall into that “default/unspecified” error cathegory?

A race condition in the cache?

Borja.

Re: bind 9.16.7 Odd query error (Borja Marcos)

Mark Andrews
No, it’s just fetches per query taking effect.  With a empty cache there are just too many queries made looking up addresses of name servers. You can raise the default slightly.

> On 1 Oct 2020, at 01:29, Borja Marcos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 30 Sep 2020, at 15:29, Bob McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Same thing here. Here's what I found.
>>
>> 1) there's and old version of the root hints file. Nov 2017. Current is sept 2020. New one didn't change things. I'll look at my other setup which slaves the root.
>>   Caveat: I'm running FreeBSD 12.1
>> 2) Upon executing the dig a second time, it resolves.
>>
>> Almost looks like some sort of priming issue.
>
> Phew, not alone. I thought something similar, I see the same problem either “secondarying" the root zone
> or using a root.hints file.
>
> Curiously it works perfectly when I disable IPv6. I can get a packet trace but with all the DNSSEC stuff it
> gets crazy to check.
>
> I was wondering, what kind of errors can fall into that “default/unspecified” error cathegory?
>
> A race condition in the cache?
>

> Borja.

Re: bind 9.16.7 Odd query error (Borja Marcos)

Borja Marcos

> On 30 Sep 2020, at 22:34, Mark Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No, it’s just fetches per query taking effect.  With a empty cache there are just too many queries made looking up addresses of name servers. You can raise the default slightly.

According to the documentation the default values for fetches-per-zone and fetches-per-server are zero,
which means there is no limit.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Borja.

Re: bind 9.16.7 Odd query error (Borja Marcos)

Mark Andrews

> On 1 Oct 2020, at 16:30, Borja Marcos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 30 Sep 2020, at 22:34, Mark Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No, it’s just fetches per query taking effect.  With a empty cache there are just too many queries made looking up addresses of name servers. You can raise the default slightly.
>

> According to the documentation the default values for fetches-per-zone and fetches-per-server are zero,
> which means there is no limit.

Sorry, shouldn’t answer when on a phone.  See max-recursion-queries

> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Borja.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: [hidden email]

Re: bind 9.16.7 Odd query error (Borja Marcos)

Borja Marcos

> On 30 Sep 2020, at 22:34, Mark Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No, it’s just fetches per query taking effect.  With a empty cache there are just too many queries made looking up addresses of name servers. You can raise the default slightly.

Alright, I think I found this particular issue. I begun hammering quotas and this one is the culprit in this particular case:

max-recursion-queries

which, according to the documentation, has a default value of 75. I raised it to 200
(I said, hammering!) and now it works reliably.

Maybe the default value is too low.

Borja.

Re: bind 9.16.7 Odd query error (Borja Marcos)

Borja Marcos

> On 1 Oct 2020, at 08:36, Mark Andrews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> According to the documentation the default values for fetches-per-zone and fetches-per-server are zero,
>> which means there is no limit.
>
> Sorry, shouldn’t answer when on a phone.  See max-recursion-queries

Thanks, yes, I found it while you wrote the answer. Telepathy!

That said, is that default value too low in the DNSSEC era? A DNS query nowadays looks like
a particle collision in an accelerator.

I have raised it to 200. Too high for sure but nobody should get hurt.

Thank you very much,

Borja.

Re: bind 9.16.7 Odd query error (Borja Marcos)

Bob McDonald
My config took the following combination before it would work:

        max-recursion-depth 20;
        max-recursion-queries 275;

I'm running both IPv4 and IPv6.

Regards,