Status of experimental COPR packages

John Thurston
Back in Sept, 2018 we got word of packages published by ISC for a few
common linux distributions.
   https://www.isc.org/blogs/bind-9-packages/

There have been a couple of trickles of news on this mailing list since
then. I'm interested in the prospects, plans, etc for these packages.

I really like what I'm seeing with the COPR distribution:
   https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/isc/
The description there still states "..USE AT YOUR OWN RISK."
I see the August update to 9.11.10 is available there.
Where do I go to learn the planned path for this?

Are there plans to stabilize it?
Are there outstanding feature requests to be addressed?
Is there a timeline somewhere?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
[hidden email]
Department of Administration
State of Alaska

Re: Status of experimental COPR packages

Vicky Risk
Administrator

On Sep 6, 2019, at 10:18 AM, John Thurston <[hidden email]> wrote:

Back in Sept, 2018 we got word of packages published by ISC for a few common linux distributions.
 https://www.isc.org/blogs/bind-9-packages/

There have been a couple of trickles of news on this mailing list since then. I'm interested in the prospects, plans, etc for these packages.

I really like what I'm seeing with the COPR distribution:
 https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/isc/
The description there still states "..USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.”

John- Do you still see those messages? I don’t see them. I thought I removed all those comments about ‘experimental’ and ‘use at your own risk’ a while ago.

I see the August update to 9.11.10 is available there.
Where do I go to learn the planned path for this?

Are there plans to stabilize it?
Are there outstanding feature requests to be addressed?
Is there a timeline somewhere?

The reason these were marked as experimental was, we were waiting to get more feedback from users. It seems as if we aren’t going to get any, which is why I reventually removed those comments.

The main package ‘feature’ we were trying to implement, was support for the software collections approach to managing dependencies (we have quite a few due to wanting to provide support for DNSTAP). That work is finished, and i am not aware of any other ‘outstanding feature requests.’   So I think the packages are pretty stable.

We did recently start setting up another site, Cloudsmith.io, for some of our packages. We need a site we can control for non-public stuff, like the BIND subscription edition, and private patches, and Cloudsmith allows us to put packages for multiple different OSes in one repo.  I need to find out whether we plan to continue updating the COPR site or not.  I think we do,(because of course it is easier to ‘find’ than Cloudsmith) but we haven’t discussed it explicitly.

I should have a more complete answer next week - the people working on this are already on their weekend.

Vicky

John Thurston    907-465-8591
[hidden email]
Department of Administration
State of Alaska

Victoria Risk
Product Manager
Internet Systems Consortium

Vicky Risk
Product Manager,

On 9/6/2019 12:10 PM, Victoria Risk wrote:
>> I really like what I'm seeing with the COPR distribution:
>> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/isc/ The description there
>> still states "..USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.”

> John- Do you still see those messages? I don’t see them. I thought I
> removed all those comments about ‘experimental’ and ‘use at your own
> risk’ a while ago.

No I don't . . . now that you call my attention to it.
I had guessed there would be an announcement on the blog, or to the
announce-list if its status had changed. Obviously, that wasn't a valid
assumption.

> We did recently start setting up another site, Cloudsmith.io, for
> some of our packages. We need a site we can control for non-public
> stuff, like the BIND subscription edition, and private patches, and
> Cloudsmith allows us to put packages for multiple different OSes in
> one repo.  I need to find out whether we plan to continue updating
> the COPR site or not.  I think we do,(because of course it is easier
> to ‘find’ than Cloudsmith) but we haven’t discussed it explicitly.

Which makes it sound like the future of the COPR distribution isn't yet
clear. This is a pretty important topic to us, and I'd welcome any
information you can offer. I'm not trying to drive your product
offerings, just trying to divine which way the wind is blowing.

 From my perspective, I'm quite pleased with how the COPR distribution
is working out. It was only a little bit of work to make the "software
collection" concept meet our needs, and I'd dearly like to be able to
consider it stable.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
[hidden email]
Department of Administration
State of Alaska

Re: Status of experimental COPR packages

Vicky Risk
Administrator
>> We did recently start setting up another site, Cloudsmith.io, for
>> some of our packages. We need a site we can control for non-public
>> stuff, like the BIND subscription edition, and private patches, and
>> Cloudsmith allows us to put packages for multiple different OSes in
>> one repo.  I need to find out whether we plan to continue updating
>> the COPR site or not.  I think we do,(because of course it is easier
>> to ‘find’ than Cloudsmith) but we haven’t discussed it explicitly.
>
> Which makes it sound like the future of the COPR distribution isn't yet clear. This is a pretty important topic to us, and I'd welcome any information you can offer. I'm not trying to drive your product offerings, just trying to divine which way the wind is blowing.
>
> From my perspective, I'm quite pleased with how the COPR distribution is working out. It was only a little bit of work to make the "software collection" concept meet our needs, and I'd dearly like to be able to consider it stable.

Thanks for that feedback. I have a clarification.

ISC plans to continue updating the ISC BIND 9 packages on COPR and Launchpad for the forseeable future. You should consider those to be stable and non-experimental.

We are ALSO putting packages for Debian up on Cloudsmith.io, because Debian doesn’t provide a repo like COPR or Launchpad for projects to update their own packages. The ISC Debian packages on Cloudsmith.io use the same configuration as the official Debian packages, but are updated more frequently than the official Debian packages.  So, if you are looking for fresher Debian packages, or for packages for the development and current stable branches of BIND 9, you might try the ones on Cloudsmith. (https://cloudsmith.io/~isc/repos/)

Vicky