Weird ping/traceroute proxying effect

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Weird ping/traceroute proxying effect

The Doctor
Finally our secondary's server BIND is working
but not the ping/traceroute tools.

Unless one server is up, ping/traceroute does not work on the secondary DNS.

What do I need to find this issue?

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca
God,Queen and country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising!
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly.-Plutarch
_______________________________________________
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Weird ping/traceroute proxying effect

Jukka Pakkanen
Are you using IP addresses or domain names when testing?  If it works with IP address, but not with names, the sec. DNS server is lacking proper DNS services itself.


-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of The Doctor
Sent: 18. maaliskuuta 2015 17:17
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Weird ping/traceroute proxying effect

Finally our secondary's server BIND is working but not the ping/traceroute tools.

Unless one server is up, ping/traceroute does not work on the secondary DNS.

What do I need to find this issue?

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca God,Queen and country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising!
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly.-Plutarch _______________________________________________
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users
_______________________________________________
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Weird ping/traceroute proxying effect

The Doctor
In reply to this post by The Doctor
In article <[hidden email]>,
Jukka Pakkanen  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Are you using IP addresses or domain names when testing?  If it works with =
>IP address, but not with names, the sec. DNS server is lacking proper DNS s=
>ervices itself.
>

Both name and IP Adresses resolve.  That is the weird part.

>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]=
>.org] On Behalf Of The Doctor
>Sent: 18. maaliskuuta 2015 17:17
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Weird ping/traceroute proxying effect
>
>Finally our secondary's server BIND is working but not the ping/traceroute =
>tools.
>
>Unless one server is up, ping/traceroute does not work on the secondary DNS=
>.
>
>What do I need to find this issue?
>
>--
>Member - Liberal International This is doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@@nl2k.=
>ab.ca God,Queen and country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChris=
>t rising!=20
>http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism Kno=
>w how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly.-Plutar=
>ch _______________________________________________
>Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscri=
>be from this list
>
>bind-users mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users


--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca
God,Queen and country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising!
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly.-Plutarch
_______________________________________________
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Weird ping/traceroute proxying effect

Reindl Harald

Am 18.03.2015 um 17:37 schrieb The Doctor:
> In article <[hidden email]>,
> Jukka Pakkanen  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are you using IP addresses or domain names when testing?  If it works with =
>> IP address, but not with names, the sec. DNS server is lacking proper DNS s=
>> ervices itself.
>
> Both name and IP Adresses resolve.  That is the weird part

when DNS works on that machine, so network is up and fine, but ping and
traceroute don't then you just block ICMP on that machine or a firewall
before it


_______________________________________________
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users

signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment