Wildcard prefix

Hardy, Andrew
Does bind support wildcard prefix

I want to install bind DNS server on my LAN to locally test a web application that is designed to support receiving requests on different url domain prefixes.

Map *.mydomain.com to
For example 192.168.12.12

Use
etc

All arrive at http server on 192.168.12.12

Hope that makes sense

This is my primary need so I don't want to install if this is not my best option.

Many thanks.

Re: Wildcard prefix

Andrew Latham
Andrew

As long as your zone file is correct you can use *. (Note: Asterisk and Dot) to match all entries. I would put this below any other required entries.
Example:
"""
$ORIGIN mydomain.com.
*.  IN  A   192.168.12.12
"""

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:49 AM, Hardy, Andrew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does bind support wildcard prefix
>
> I want to install bind DNS server on my LAN to locally test a web application that is designed to support receiving requests on different url domain prefixes.
>
> Map *.mydomain.com to
> For example 192.168.12.12
>
> Use
> abc.mydomain.com
> def.mydomain.com
> www.mydomain.com
> etc
>
> All arrive at http server on 192.168.12.12
>
> Hope that makes sense
>
> This is my primary need so I don't want to install if this is not my best option.
>
> Many thanks.

- Andrew "lathama" Latham -

Re: Wildcard prefix

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 12.04.18 12:14, Andrew Latham wrote:
>As long as your zone file is correct you can use *. (Note: Asterisk and
>Dot) to match all entries. I would put this below any other required
>entries.
>Example:
>"""
>$ORIGIN mydomain.com.
>*.  IN  A   192.168.12.12
>"""

this should complain about out of zone data.
why do you say there's a dot needed?

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Re: Wildcard prefix

Andrew Latham
Matus

You are correct, I am coffee deprived. That direction was for an internal testing only/development goal.