getting a later-version of BIND on various linux OS's

getting a later-version of BIND on various linux OS's

Rob McEwen

Several weeks ago, Mark Andrews gave me an excellent suggestion about a particular BIND feature, but it is a somewhat recent feature that started to exist on a version of BIND that isn't yet distributed in the default/main BIND distributions for many of the most common linux-based operating systems. I think the particular feature that was mentioned - came into existence around BIND 9.13? Unfortunately, many of the major linux operating systems haven't reached 9.13 yet. So, for example, I'm currently trying to upgrade a Debian server to a more recent version of BIND - 9.16 - and I saw the following pages:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/bind9

https://www.isc.org/blogs/bind-9-packages/

But I can't seem to find any simple way to do this - or maybe I missed something on that page? - from what I've seen, for Debian, it requires that the BIND source code (and various dependencies) be downloaded, and then BIND has to be compiled. Or so it seems. I tried that, but kept running into errors  - something about "Libressl not found" - even though I really did already have the SSL package installed that it said it needed. It was a downward-spiral mess I couldn't seem to resolve.

So here is the question - is there an easier/simpler way to get the most common linux operating systems (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOs, etc) - to a later version of BIND - beyond what auto-installs when you issue a command like "apt-get install bind9" - but without having to download and compile the source code?

--
Rob McEwen, invaluement

Re: getting a later-version of BIND on various linux OS's

Rob McEwen
oops - sorry - I totally missed THIS page:
...so it seems that there is a way. Still, I'm getting weird errors about:

E: The repository 'http://ftp.debian.org/debian sig Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

...but I'll work through those and ask a follow-up if I get stuck. Sorry for the noise - I can't believe I missed that extra page.

Rob McEwen

On 11/9/2020 2:18 AM, Rob McEwen wrote:

[...]

https://www.invaluement.com
+1 (478) 475-9032

On November 9, 2020 7:18:03 AM UTC, Rob McEwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

What you are looking for is Debian Backports:

https://backports.debian.org/

Stable (Buster) Backports has v9.16.6

https://packages.debian.org/buster-backports/bind9

It's built and maininted by:

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/bind9

-Jim P.

Re: getting a later-version of BIND on various linux OS's

John Thurston

On 11/8/2020 10:18 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
> is there an */easier/simpler/* way to get the most common linux
> operating systems (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOs, etc) - to a later version of
> BIND - beyond what auto-installs when you issue a command like "apt-get
> install bind9" - but /without/ having to download and compile the source
> code?

Please take a look at the ISC "Software Collection":
    https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/isc/

We use those packages with CentOS 7 and 8 to deliver ISC BIND 9.11 and 9.16.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
[hidden email]
Department of Administration
State of Alaska

Re: getting a later-version of BIND on various linux OS's

Ondřej Surý
And for debian, I maintain https://packages.sury.org/bind/ for 9.16, replace with bind-esv for 9.11 ESV or bind-dev for 9.17 for development version.

Ondrej
--