journal file is out of date: removing journal file

journal file is out of date: removing journal file

Klaus Darilion
Hello!

BIND 9.12.2-P2, max-journal-size 1m;

What does the log message "journal file is out of date: removing journal
file" exactly mean? Is it somehow problematic?

I have bind as bump in the wire signer, and regularly problems with slow
zone updates for a specific zone which often, almost every AXFR, shows
this log message.

Thanks
Klaus

Re: journal file is out of date: removing journal file

Tony Finch
Klaus Darilion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What does the log message "journal file is out of date: removing journal
> file" exactly mean? Is it somehow problematic?

After loading a zone, named discovers the serial number of the zone
doesn't match the serial number of the journal.

Something weird is happening, because I would expect that the zone either
had an incremental change, which goes via the journal, so the journal will
be up to date; or it's a full reload (e.g. thaw or axfr), in which case
the journal should be quietly removed in the reload process; or there is
ixfr-from-differences, in which case the journal is updated instead of
removed when a reload happens.

If I'm skim-reading the code right, the problem might be that it checks
the journal for staleness (in zone_postload) before checking that the
journal needs to be removed (in zone_replacedb which is called towards the
end of zone_postload) which is the wrong order and will cause this log
message more frequently than it should.

North Bailey: Easterly 5 to 7. Moderate or rough. Showers. Moderate or poor.

Re: journal file is out of date: removing journal file

Klaus Darilion
Hi Tony!

Am 31.07.2019 um 12:44 schrieb Tony Finch:

> Klaus Darilion <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What does the log message "journal file is out of date: removing journal
>> file" exactly mean? Is it somehow problematic?
>
> After loading a zone, named discovers the serial number of the zone
> doesn't match the serial number of the journal.
>
> Something weird is happening, because I would expect that the zone either
> had an incremental change, which goes via the journal, so the journal will
> be up to date; or it's a full reload (e.g. thaw or axfr), in which case
> the journal should be quietly removed in the reload process; or there is
> ixfr-from-differences, in which case the journal is updated instead of
> removed when a reload happens.

In my case, ixfr-from-differences is off, and incoming and outgoing is
always AXFR. Zone config is:
  type slave;
  auto-dnssec maintain;
  dnssec-dnskey-kskonly no;
  inline-signing yes;

> If I'm skim-reading the code right, the problem might be that it checks
> the journal for staleness (in zone_postload) before checking that the
> journal needs to be removed (in zone_replacedb which is called towards the
> end of zone_postload) which is the wrong order and will cause this log
> message more frequently than it should.

So, is this then a bug or just some suboptimal processing which should
not cause any operational issues?

Thanks
Klaus

Re: journal file is out of date: removing journal file

Tony Finch
Klaus Darilion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, is this then a bug or just some suboptimal processing which should
> not cause any operational issues?

Both a bug and benign, I think :-)

the fundamental values of liberty, equality, and community