named.conf Default Location?

Tim Daneliuk
I have two FreeBSD 10 machines on which I have installed the bind99 port.

The manpage for named on machine 1 says that it looks for the named.conf
by default in /usr/local/etc/namedb.  Machine 2's manpage says it looks
in /etc/namedb.

Which is correct?  Is the /etc/namedb symlink even needed anymore?

Re: named.conf Default Location?

John W. Blue
Tim,

I too prefer to run BIND on FreeBSD boxes.  I am running 9.10.3-P2 from ports and named.conf can only be found in:

/use/local/etc/named/

Not know the exact history of your boxes, I would say it is not needed.

John

Sent from Nine

Re: named.conf Default Location?

Konstantin Stefanov
On 12.01.2016 20:29, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I have two FreeBSD 10 machines on which I have installed the bind99 port.
>
> The manpage for named on machine 1 says that it looks for the named.conf
> by default in /usr/local/etc/namedb.  Machine 2's manpage says it looks
> in /etc/namedb.
>
> Which is correct?  Is the /etc/namedb symlink even needed anymore?
Are they freshly installed FreeBSD 10 or were update to ver 10 from 9 or
earlier? In FreeBSD 9 there was in-base named which had config at
/et/namedb. Maybe the manpage on one of the machines is from earlier
versions? Try man -a named.conf and see if there are other vresions of
man page.

By default bind99 port uses /usr/local/etc/namedb, but it used to have
REPLACE_BASE option, which instructed it to use /etc/namedb, so you may
check it.

--
Konstantin Stefanov,

Research Computing Center
M.V Lomonosov Moscow State University

Tim Daneliuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The manpage for named on machine 1 says that it looks for the named.conf
> by default in /usr/local/etc/namedb.  Machine 2's manpage says it looks
> in /etc/namedb.
>
> Which is correct?  Is the /etc/namedb symlink even needed anymore?

The man pages should be correct, but if you don't trust them you can
verify what really happens in two ways:

(1) Run named -V and it should tell you the arguments to the configure
    script. Look for --sysconfdir or --prefix. These determine where named
    looks for named.conf, as described in the README:

        You may specify the option "--sysconfdir" to set the directory
        where configuration files like "named.conf" go by default,
        and "--localstatedir" to set the default parent directory
        of "run/named.pid".   For backwards compatibility with BIND 8,
        --sysconfdir defaults to "/etc" and --localstatedir defaults to
        "/var" if no --prefix option is given.  If there is a --prefix
        option, sysconfdir defaults to "$prefix/etc" and localstatedir
        defaults to "$prefix/var".

(2) Run:

        strings `which named` | grep named.conf

South Fitzroy: Cyclonic becoming northerly later, 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8.
Rough or very rough. Rain. Moderate or poor.