recursive resolver

ShubhamGoyal
 Dear sir,
                                how can we improve my DNS Recursive resolver speed.

Best Regards,
Shubham Goyal
Cyber Security Group
Centre for Development of Advanced Computing
Bangalore

150th Anniversary Mahatma Gandhi

[ C-DAC is on Social-Media too. Kindly follow us at:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CDACINDIA & Twitter: @cdacindia ]

Re: recursive resolver

Hi there,

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, ShubhamGoyal wrote:

> we made a recurive resolver (Cent OS 7,  8GB RAM ,250 GB Hard disk and network
> speed is also good  ) . It reply in 1200 msec and 1800 msec (which is very
> slow). if it gave Reply by Cache (80 msec or 76 msec).
> so i want to know about,
> How can i improve my recursive resolver speed.

I wonder if you have some kind of networking misconfiguration which
results in timeouts while BIND is waiting for responses.  Perhaps you
will learn more about what is happening if you look at the network
traffic using a tool such as Wireshark.

> and If  we apply syslog  (it is a centralised logging of bind) .  then any
> profit for recursive resolver.

If I had a problem with anything which used centralised logging, one
of the first things I would do is check that the centralised logging
was not causing the problem - it is very simple to change the logging
arrangements.  Having said that, I have never found that centralised
logging has caused any problems when it is set up sanely.

--

73,
Ged.

Re: recursive resolver

Bind-Users forum mailing list
Hi there,

------------------------------

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020, Grant Taylor wrote:

> I feel like running a network sniffer (tcpdump, Wireshark, etc.) on the
> recursive resolver will make it quite apparent ...

Great minds think alike... :)

For the purposes of comparison you can always try a public service:

laptop3:~$ >>> dig @8.8.8.8 lists.isc.org

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Debian <<>> @8.8.8.8 lists.isc.org
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;lists.isc.org.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
lists.isc.org.          7199    IN      A       149.20.1.60

;; Query time: 62 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sat Mar 14 13:15:51 GMT 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 58

Seems to me that 62ms is very respectable.  If you have problems with
your own service you can probably use a different one, if only until
such time as you can fix your own (and if indeed it needs to be fixed).

--

73,
Ged.