rndc status command hangs in bind 9.14.2

rndc status command hangs in bind 9.14.2

Andi Vajda

  Hi,

I've been running bind 9.12 on netbsd 7.2 without any issues.
The bind-9.12 package is now marked deprecated (eol) and we're encouraged to
upgrade to bind 9.14.

I've been giving it a few tries and, while my server seems to be working
normally with bind 9.14.2, it doesn't respond to rndc commands.

Running rndc -V status shows rndc stopping after 'send message'.
I see nothing in the logs that would explain this. In particular, my rndc
key setup is working fine.
I also tried increasing log levels and never got anything added to the logs
that was triggered by my calling rndc status.

I'm using the exact same configs between 9.12 and 9.14. With a 9.12 server
rndc works fine (compiled from either version of bind). With a 9.14 server
rndc just hangs after sending its request message to the server. It never
receives and parses a response. If I ctrl-c it, it says that "recv" got
interrupted.

Is there something different about 9.14 defaults that I now need to include
in my config to get past this ?
My named is running in a chroot cage.

Thank you for your assistance and clues !

Andi..

Re: rndc status command hangs in bind 9.14.2

Michał Kępień
Hi Andi,

> Is there something different about 9.14 defaults that I now need to include
> in my config to get past this ?

I am unable to reproduce this, things seem to work fine, at least on a
fresh amd64 NetBSD 7.2 VM:

    # bin/rndc/rndc status
    version: BIND 9.14.2 (Stable Release) <id:unset_id>
    running on vm0: NetBSD amd64 7.2 NetBSD 7.2 (GENERIC.201808291900Z)
    boot time: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 07:08:35 GMT
    last configured: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 07:08:35 GMT
    configuration file: /etc/named.conf
    CPUs found: 4
    worker threads: 4
    UDP listeners per interface: 4
    number of zones: 100 (99 automatic)
    debug level: 0
    xfers running: 0
    xfers deferred: 0
    soa queries in progress: 0
    query logging is OFF
    recursive clients: 0/900/1000
    tcp clients: 2/150
    server is up and running

What hardware platform are you experiencing this on?  What is your
"named -V" output?  What is your build process?  If you are still
hitting this, please open a bug report on gitlab.isc.org, providing the
answers to the questions above and any other information that may be
helpful.

--
Best regards,
Michał Kępień

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019, Micha? K?pie? wrote:

> Hi Andi,
>
>> Is there something different about 9.14 defaults that I now need to include
>> in my config to get past this ?
>
> I am unable to reproduce this, things seem to work fine, at least on a
> fresh amd64 NetBSD 7.2 VM:
>
>    # bin/rndc/rndc status
>    version: BIND 9.14.2 (Stable Release) <id:unset_id>
>    running on vm0: NetBSD amd64 7.2 NetBSD 7.2 (GENERIC.201808291900Z)
>    boot time: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 07:08:35 GMT
>    last configured: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 07:08:35 GMT
>    configuration file: /etc/named.conf
>    CPUs found: 4
>    worker threads: 4
>    UDP listeners per interface: 4
>    number of zones: 100 (99 automatic)
>    debug level: 0
>    xfers running: 0
>    xfers deferred: 0
>    soa queries in progress: 0
>    query logging is OFF
>    recursive clients: 0/900/1000
>    tcp clients: 2/150
>    server is up and running
>
> What hardware platform are you experiencing this on?  What is your
> "named -V" output?  What is your build process?  If you are still
> hitting this, please open a bug report on gitlab.isc.org, providing the
> answers to the questions above and any other information that may be
> helpful.

I filed https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/issues/1085.
The build process is:
   - cd /opt/pkgsrc/bind914
   - cvs update
   - make update
In other words, I'm using the netbsd 7.2 pkgsrc source distribution and
build framework. I did not build bind 9.14.2 from directly downloaded
sources myself. In particular, it seems that the netbsd 7.2 pkgsrc build
applies around 37 patch files.

I think the named -V and log excerpts answer all the other questions you
asked above. I'm very sorry to see that the issue interface completely
munged my formatting :-(