rndc stops listening

John Thurston
Running BIND 9.16.9 on CentOS 8

I have the following in my .conf
> controls {
>   inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
>     allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "mykey"; };
>   inet 10.2.0.1 port 953
>     allow { 10.2.3.3; 10.2.4.3; }
>     keys { "threekey"; "fourkey"; };
> };

And I normally can see the named process is listening on tcp:953 on both
127.0.0.1 and 10.2.0.1.   But sometimes later, I find it listening only
on 127.0.0.1.   If I do an 'rndc reconfig', it starts listening again on
both addresses. Normal DNS service has continued uninterrupted.

I can't find footprints left from anything falling down. I'd could just
install a watchdog to 'reconfig' whenever port 953 stops answering, but
I'd rather figure out why it is stopping and correct the problem. To do
that, I need more information.

Am I not looking in the correct log?
Do I need to crank up the logging level for something?
If so, for what? and how high?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
[hidden email]
Department of Administration
State of Alaska

Re: rndc stops listening

John Thurston
I now see this same behavior running BIND 9.16.12 on Ubuntu

I have never seen it on my instances running 9.11.x on Centos

I'd sure like to figure out why (or even when) it stops listening on
port 953. Does anyone have any suggestions?

On 12/11/2020 11:13 AM, John Thurston wrote:

> Running BIND 9.16.9 on CentOS 8
>
> I have the following in my .conf
>> controls {
>>   inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
>>     allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "mykey"; };
>>   inet 10.2.0.1 port 953
>>     allow { 10.2.3.3; 10.2.4.3; }
>>     keys { "threekey"; "fourkey"; };
>> };
>
> And I normally can see the named process is listening on tcp:953 on both
> 127.0.0.1 and 10.2.0.1.   But sometimes later, I find it listening only
> on 127.0.0.1.   If I do an 'rndc reconfig', it starts listening again on
> both addresses. Normal DNS service has continued uninterrupted.
>
> I can't find footprints left from anything falling down. I'd could just
> install a watchdog to 'reconfig' whenever port 953 stops answering, but
> I'd rather figure out why it is stopping and correct the problem. To do
> that, I need more information.
>
> Am I not looking in the correct log?
> Do I need to crank up the logging level for something?
> If so, for what? and how high?

Re: rndc stops listening

Ondřej Surý
John,

please report the issue to the ISC GitLab.

Ondřej Surý — ISC (He/Him)

My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside your normal working hours.