rndc - sync before reload?

John Thurston
On a server with both static and dynamic zones, is there any reason to
perform an:
   rndc sync
prior to issuing an:
   rndc reload

John Thurston    907-465-8591
[hidden email]
Department of Administration
State of Alaska

Re: rndc - sync before reload?

John W. Blue
I have zero experience with dynamic zones on BIND because all of ours are static.  That said, and since nobody else has commented, it seems like it would make sense to sync before reload.

The man says that sync writes out to the journal which shouldn't ever be a bad thing.

John

Sent from Nine

Re: rndc - sync before reload?

Anand Buddhdev
On 10/07/2019 20:08, John Thurston wrote:

Hi John,

> On a server with both static and dynamic zones, is there any reason to
> perform an:
>   rndc sync
> prior to issuing an:
>   rndc reload

No, there is no need for a sync before reload.

Regards,
Anand

Re: rndc - sync before reload?

John W. Blue
Please elaborate on the technical reason why instead of being terse.

Thanks!

John

Sent from Nine

On 10/07/2019 20:08, John Thurston wrote:

Hi John,

> On a server with both static and dynamic zones, is there any reason to
> perform an:
>   rndc sync
> prior to issuing an:
>   rndc reload

No, there is no need for a sync before reload.

Regards,
Anand

Re: rndc - sync before reload?

Alan Clegg
On 7/14/19 8:00 PM, John W. Blue wrote:
> Please elaborate on the technical reason why instead of being terse.

I'll give a short version:

"rndc reload" existed from the early days of BIND with the first notice
in CHANGES being [bug] 287 in 9.1.0b1.

"rndc sync" came along with [func] 3084 in BIND 9.9.0a1.

You don't need to sync before you reload.

As to the internals, I dunno.

AlanC

Re: rndc - sync before reload?

Evan Hunt
On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 01:34:35AM +0000, John W. Blue wrote:
> I have zero experience with dynamic zones on BIND because all of ours are
> static.  That said, and since nobody else has commented, it seems like it
> would make sense to sync before reload.
>
> The man says that sync writes out to the journal which shouldn't ever be
> a bad thing.

It doesn't write *to* the journal file; it takes the changes that are
encoded in the journal file and writes them out to the zone master file.

I guess that wasn't clear, so maybe the man page needs some clarification:

       sync [-clean] [zone [class [view]]]
           Sync changes in the journal file for a dynamic zone to the master
           file. If the "-clean" option is specified, the journal file is also
           removed. If no zone is specified, then all zones are synced.

"rndc reload" loads the zone from the master file *plus* the journal file,
if there is one. There's no need to sync the journal file to the master
file before reloading.

--
Evan Hunt -- [hidden email]
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.