zone not updating

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

zone not updating

Lucio Crusca
Hello all,

I have a Bind9 server which is master for several zones, one of those is
hcvalchisone.net. Here is the relevant part of its db file:

;
; BIND data file for hcvalchisone.net
;
$TTL    3600
@       IN      SOA     hcvalchisone.net. info.hcvalchisone.net. (
                            2015032901         ; Serial
                                   300         ; Refresh
                                   300         ; Retry
                                  1200         ; Expire
                                  3600)        ; Default TTL
;
@       IN      NS      ns0.virtual-bit.com.
@ IN NS ns1.virtual-bit.com.
hcvalchisone.net.     IN      MX       10      mx.hcvalchisone.net.
hcvalchisone.net. IN A 136.243.232.141
mx IN A 158.58.168.152
www IN A 136.243.232.141

I edited this zone file on March, 22 and set new IP address for the www record.
Then, yesterday, I only bumped the serial because the zone was not
propagating, but still nothing changed. If you query the NS for the www
record, it replies with the new and correct IP address (136.243.232.141), but
if you query any other DNS around the globe, it replies with the old one
(158.58.168.152, same as current MX).

What am I doing wrong?
_______________________________________________
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: zone not updating

Jeremy C. Reed
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015, Lucio Crusca wrote:

> @       IN      NS      ns0.virtual-bit.com.
> @ IN NS ns1.virtual-bit.com.
...
> propagating, but still nothing changed. If you query the NS for the
> www record, it replies with the new and correct IP address
> (136.243.232.141), but if you query any other DNS around the globe, it
> replies with the old one (158.58.168.152, same as current MX).

Your basically answered your own question. See the NS records in the
output for the following:

dig hcvalchisone.net @f.gtld-servers.net


_______________________________________________
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: zone not updating

Mauricio Tavares
In reply to this post by Lucio Crusca
On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Lucio Crusca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a Bind9 server which is master for several zones, one of those is
> hcvalchisone.net. Here is the relevant part of its db file:
>
> ;
> ; BIND data file for hcvalchisone.net
> ;
> $TTL    3600
> @       IN      SOA     hcvalchisone.net. info.hcvalchisone.net. (
>                             2015032901         ; Serial
>                                    300         ; Refresh
>                                    300         ; Retry
>                                   1200         ; Expire
>                                   3600)        ; Default TTL
> ;
> @       IN      NS      ns0.virtual-bit.com.
> @       IN      NS      ns1.virtual-bit.com.
> hcvalchisone.net.            IN      MX       10      mx.hcvalchisone.net.
> hcvalchisone.net.       IN      A       136.243.232.141
> mx              IN      A       158.58.168.152
> www             IN      A       136.243.232.141
>
> I edited this zone file on March, 22 and set new IP address for the www record.
> Then, yesterday, I only bumped the serial because the zone was not
> propagating, but still nothing changed. If you query the NS for the www
> record, it replies with the new and correct IP address (136.243.232.141), but
> if you query any other DNS around the globe, it replies with the old one
> (158.58.168.152, same as current MX).
>
> What am I doing wrong?

      Dumb question of the day: does this zone also handle DHCP
entries?  I ask because I am wondering if you need to use rndc
freeze/thaw.

> _______________________________________________
> Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list
>
> bind-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users
_______________________________________________
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: zone not updating

Lucio Crusca
>       Dumb question of the day: does this zone also handle DHCP
> entries?  

No, it doesn't.

> I ask because I am wondering if you need to use rndc
> freeze/thaw.

Er... I don't know what rndc freeze/thaw even is...


_______________________________________________
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: zone not updating

Barry Margolin
In reply to this post by Lucio Crusca
In article <[hidden email]>,
 Lucio Crusca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a Bind9 server which is master for several zones, one of those is
> hcvalchisone.net. Here is the relevant part of its db file:
>
> ;
> ; BIND data file for hcvalchisone.net
> ;
> $TTL    3600
> @       IN      SOA     hcvalchisone.net. info.hcvalchisone.net. (
>                             2015032901         ; Serial
>                                    300         ; Refresh
>                                    300         ; Retry
>                                   1200         ; Expire
>                                   3600)        ; Default TTL
> ;
> @       IN      NS      ns0.virtual-bit.com.
> @ IN NS ns1.virtual-bit.com.
> hcvalchisone.net.     IN      MX       10      mx.hcvalchisone.net.
> hcvalchisone.net. IN A 136.243.232.141
> mx IN A 158.58.168.152
> www IN A 136.243.232.141
>
> I edited this zone file on March, 22 and set new IP address for the www
> record.
> Then, yesterday, I only bumped the serial because the zone was not
> propagating, but still nothing changed. If you query the NS for the www
> record, it replies with the new and correct IP address (136.243.232.141), but
> if you query any other DNS around the globe, it replies with the old one
> (158.58.168.152, same as current MX).
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You need to go to your domain registrar and update the nameservers. Your
registration lists different nameservers than the ones you have in your
zone:

   Domain Name: HCVALCHISONE.NET
   Registrar: ONLINENIC, INC.
   Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 82
   Whois Server: whois.onlinenic.com
   Referral URL: http://www.OnlineNIC.com
   Name Server: NS1.CUSTOMER.SEFLOW.IT
   Name Server: NS2.CUSTOMER.SEFLOW.IT
   Status: clientTransferProhibited
http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
   Updated Date: 30-sep-2014
   Creation Date: 15-oct-2008
   Expiration Date: 15-oct-2015

These nameservers have an old version of your zone:

$ dig hcvalchisone.net soa @ns2.customer.seflow.it +norec +multi

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> hcvalchisone.net soa
@ns2.customer.seflow.it +norec +multi
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 8220
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;hcvalchisone.net.   IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
hcvalchisone.net. 600 IN SOA ns1.hcvalchisone.net.
hostmaster.hcvalchisone.net. (
            2014020301 ; serial
            28800      ; refresh (8 hours)
            7200       ; retry (2 hours)
            604800     ; expire (1 week)
            600        ; minimum (10 minutes)
            )

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA
_______________________________________________
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users